For today’s post I decided to do a question and answer session. I get asked a lot of questions and most of them are the same question just asked differently. So, here are the top 3 questions I get asked the most and my answers.
1. Can I spot reduce (I just want to lose weight in my legs or I want a smaller stomach)?
Answer: No. You can’t spot reduce. In order to have smaller legs or a stomach, you need to lose fat overall. If you eat healthy and lift weights you will get your results.
2. Why is my weight-loss program not working?
Answer: There are a ton of reasons why a weight-loss program isn’t working for someone. A few reasons: you aren’t eating enough calories, you aren’t eating the right kind of food, you aren’t lifting weights(this one is very true for females). If you are on a weight-loss plan and not losing weight then track everything you put in your mouth for 1 week. Most of the time we underestimate how many calories we are really eating and overestimate how much we are exercising.
3. I do cardio 7 days a week and I don’t see any changes. How can that be?
Answer: I wrote a blog post about this a while ago, check it out here for the answer http://fitnesswithlisa.areavoices.com/2013/06/20/cardio-will-make-you-fat/
If you have any fitness or nutrition questions post them at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa.com and I will try to respond as quickly as I can.
This week we have been talking about food swaps. Easy things we can do to help us live a healthier lifestyle. So far the tips have been use applesauce in place of oil when baking, use other kinds of flour (whole wheat, almond…etc) when baking, and use greek yogurt in place of sour cream when making dips.
It really is as easy as these tips. If you gradually change your eating habits you will lose weight, sleep better and feel healthier. Here are 5 more swaps you can do today.
1. When eating your veggies dip them in hummus instead of veggie dip. My favorite hummus brand is Sabra. I like the olive tapenade flavor.
2. Try my FAVORITE pasta, Barilla Plus (it’s in a yellow box) in place of your regular pasta. There is 14 grams of protein in 1 serving of Barilla Plus pasta!
3. Replace the mayo on your sandwich with an avocado. The avocado will give you healthy fat which is important for brain function.
4. Replace your white flour and grains with whole wheat. Try brown rice instead of white rice and whole wheat bread instead of white bread. Whole wheat does not spike your blood sugar as much as white flour does. Plus, whole wheat flour has more fiber in it which we all need.
5. Replace your high sugar yogurt with lower sugar yogurt or Greek yogurt. Keep your yogurt at 10 grams of sugar or less. If you are looking to add more protein to your diet go with Greek yogurt.
Share with us what your favorite food swaps are at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa
Today I have an easy and healthy breakfast recipe for you.
I call it the Oatmeal Parfait:
Make 1 packet of unflavored, instant oatmeal with water according to package directions. Once the oatmeal is cooked put half of the oatmeal in a parfait glass, then layer greek yogurt and berries, then another layer of oatmeal, greek yogurt, berries.
If you want more recipe and exercise tips go to www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa or www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
Everyone wants a quick fix, the magic pill to help them lose weight…..well sorry to tell you the ONLY thing that works is eating healthy and exercising. So here are 5 EASY things you can do today to start losing weight.
1. Drink water. Water fills you up (so you feel less hungry) plus it makes your skin glow. If you don’t like drinking water add lemon, lime or orange slices to flavor the water.
2. Eat on smaller plates. Most of us put our meal on HUGE plates and think we have to fill the plate up. If you do this you could be eating 3-4 times the serving sizes you should be. To start eating smaller amounts of food, eat on smaller plates-even if you fill it up it won’t be as much as on a HUGE plate.
3. Incorporate protein and fiber at every snack and meal. Protein and fiber help you lose weight and typically is less calories per serving then starchy carbs (like crackers, chips, cookies)
4. Go for a walk. After supper take a family walk or over lunch break head outside with a co-worker to get in your walk for the day.
5. Start small. Try incorporating 1 or 2 of these tips into your week. The next week incorporate 1 or 2 more tips. Don’t try to change everything in 1 day. If you do that you are setting yourself up for failure. Take small steps and enjoy the journey.
I would love to hear your weight-loss tips. Share them with us at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa
If you have any questions, please let me know. I am here to help you on your weight-loss journey!
I have been wanting to try coconut water for a while now so when I saw these cartons of it at my grocery store I thought why not try it in a smoothie. This smoothie reminds me of the beach, so blend it up and enjoy!
4oz of coconut water
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
3oz of yogurt
1 cup of frozen strawberries
This smoothie is low in calories and a great source of protein and potassium.
The ever elusive magic weight-loss pill that everyone wants. I have found the secret!
Before, I tell you what it is, what would you do to lose weight?
- Would you starve yourself?
- Would you run for 1 hour a day?
- Would you stop eating out at restaurants?
- How about exercise most days of the week or would you learn to make healthy choices?
It seems these days that everyone is looking for the magic weight-loss pill to help them lose weight. I want to know why? Why do you want the magic pill?
- Do you want short term quick-fix?
- Do you just want to lose weight without having to do the work?
Alright, I’ll tell you the secret………………..Eat healthy, exercise and REPEAT. EVERY. DAY. This is the ONLY magic weight-loss “pill” that works for life-to EAT HEALTHY, EXERCISE and REPEAT. It’s not sexy, it doesn’t sell commercial time and people certainly don’t like this answer, but it is the TRUTH.
If you REALLY want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to be willing to get outside your comfort zone and learn how to make healthy choices. It’s not about being deprived, it about learning how to make healthy choices that you can do for your life.
Decide what your goal is and go after it. It will be hard, but if you really want it, you can do it! Find a friend to exercise with you (it makes it more fun) and start eating healthy (fruits, veggies, protein and whole grains).
If you need help with reaching your goals, contact me for your free consultation at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
In this blog post I wanted to write about dumbbells VS machines. I get a lot of questions from members about how to use dumbbells and most new members just want to know how to use the strength machines because they think the strength machines are safer to use.
I know a lot of people use strength machines for a variety of reasons, the main reasons being people think the machines are safer to use then dumbbells and people think that machines work their muscles better. Actually, most people who go to gyms don’t need to use strength machines at all. Dumbbells and body weight exercises are the best things you can do to build lean muscle and gain strength. Strength machines are great for people who are looking to achieve a certain goal, but for 99% of people that go to a gym-step away from the strength machines. They are not doing you any good!
I know you are probably thinking “that isn’t right, I am getting stronger” and you are right, you are getting stronger but you could be burning way more calories and using more muscles if you used dumbbells. Think about this-you wake up in the morning and SIT down to eat breakfast, you then SIT in the car on your way to work, you then SIT at your desk for 8+ hours, you SIT in your car on the way home from work, you go to the gym and SIT on the strength machines and then you SIT to eat supper at home. THEN on the weekend you are moving furniture and hurt your back and wonder why you hurt your back since you “lift weights” at the gym……….do you see how much time you spend SITTING-so when you go to the gym and SIT on the strength machines you are only working the 1 or 2 muscle groups that machine was designed to work, yet when you are at home you don’t SIT to garden or to play ball with your kids or to lift furniture so why do you think SITTING on a machine is working your body?
Most people that go to a gym need to be doing functional training. Functional training is a buzzword right now, but it has been around for a long time. Functional training means to train the body for activities performed in everyday life. Example-instead of sitting on the leg curl machine do a dead lift with dumbbells or with a barbell. A dead lift is basically what you are doing every time you bend over to pick something off the floor. Instead of doing the shoulder press machine, do a shoulder press with dumbbells while standing on 1 leg. Balance work is something EVERYONE needs to work on and you don’t work your balance when you are SITTING on a machine. OR how about the worst machine on a gym floor-the ab machine-stop using that machine!! Your core is one of the most important muscle groups on your body. It helps you stand up, sit, twist, lay down, get up from laying down…etc. So work your core like you do in real life. If you golf or play tennis you need to do rotational exercises, if you garden do planks and side planks to help strengthen your low back, if you are looking for a 6-pack you won’t get it from the ab machine, start doing body weight and dumbbell exercises that challenge your core through out your whole workout.
I know a lot of people don’t know how to use dumbbells so they gravitate to the strength machines because they are easy to use. I understand that, but you aren’t getting the kind of workout you could be. So, if you want to really train your body no matter what your goal is pick up the dumbbells and if you don’t know how to use them, ask a trainer. I love helping people learn new exercises with dumbbells. It will help you reach your goal faster and help you decrease your risk of injury in real life activities.
You can check out dumbbell exercises on my You Tube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC07OBobaYqRtAZRVXkooEuw
Have fun learning new exercises!
Happy July 4th!
Here is a quick and healthy recipe you can make with the kiddos this 4th of July.
1-8oz container of vanilla yogurt
Pour 1 TBSP of the yogurt into a paper cup or Popsicle mold, layer 2-3 raspberries on top of the yogurt, add another TBSP of yogurt, then layer 3-4 blueberries and another TBSP of yogurt. Put the Popsicle or mold top on and put in the freezer overnight. To get the yogurt pops out of the mold run the mold under hot water for 1-2 minutes.
Find more healthy tips and recipes at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa and at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
I get a lot of questions from people asking how they can eat healthy when they are out running errands or shuttling the kids to games, friends…etc. It is actually easy to eat healthy when on the go, but it does require a bit of planning on your part.
Today I was running errands and needed lunch. I could have gone to a fast food restaurant and ordered something fried but I chose to be healthy. I went to my grocery store (I had to buy groceries anyways) and put together a salad from their salad bar.
I put lots of veggies on my salad, egg (for protein) and a sprinkle of blue cheese (instead of dressing).
Here are some ideas you can use when you are out and about and need to eat healthy in a hurry:
1. Load up on veggies and protein from your local salad bar or fast food restaurant
2. If you don’t want salad order a grilled chicken or hamburger (don’t eat the fries or bun) and order a fruit cup
3. Watch out for smoothie places-typically the smoothies are loaded with sugar, so look at the nutritional values before ordering
4. Pack your lunch and bring it with you
With just a bit of thinking ahead you will be able to eat healthy on the go and stick to your weight-loss goal!
For more great tips and recipes follow me at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa or @ptwithlisa
Find out more about what I do and how I can help you at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
I know when summer comes the last thing we want to do is workout inside, so I created a quick outdoor workout that you can do with no equipment except a mat and a chair.
Do each exercise 10-15 reps and do the workout 3 times through. If you want to add some cardio you can do 30 seconds of jump squats or sprints in between the sets.
Let me know what you think of the workout at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa
Have a great summer!!