I have been wanting to try coconut water for a while now so when I saw these cartons of it at my grocery store I thought why not try it in a smoothie. This smoothie reminds me of the beach, so blend it up and enjoy!
4oz of coconut water
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
3oz of yogurt
1 cup of frozen strawberries
This smoothie is low in calories and a great source of protein and potassium.
The ever elusive magic weight-loss pill that everyone wants. I have found the secret!
Before, I tell you what it is, what would you do to lose weight?
- Would you starve yourself?
- Would you run for 1 hour a day?
- Would you stop eating out at restaurants?
- How about exercise most days of the week or would you learn to make healthy choices?
It seems these days that everyone is looking for the magic weight-loss pill to help them lose weight. I want to know why? Why do you want the magic pill?
- Do you want short term quick-fix?
- Do you just want to lose weight without having to do the work?
Alright, I’ll tell you the secret………………..Eat healthy, exercise and REPEAT. EVERY. DAY. This is the ONLY magic weight-loss “pill” that works for life-to EAT HEALTHY, EXERCISE and REPEAT. It’s not sexy, it doesn’t sell commercial time and people certainly don’t like this answer, but it is the TRUTH.
If you REALLY want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to be willing to get outside your comfort zone and learn how to make healthy choices. It’s not about being deprived, it about learning how to make healthy choices that you can do for your life.
Decide what your goal is and go after it. It will be hard, but if you really want it, you can do it! Find a friend to exercise with you (it makes it more fun) and start eating healthy (fruits, veggies, protein and whole grains).
If you need help with reaching your goals, contact me for your free consultation at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
In this blog post I wanted to write about dumbbells VS machines. I get a lot of questions from members about how to use dumbbells and most new members just want to know how to use the strength machines because they think the strength machines are safer to use.
I know a lot of people use strength machines for a variety of reasons, the main reasons being people think the machines are safer to use then dumbbells and people think that machines work their muscles better. Actually, most people who go to gyms don’t need to use strength machines at all. Dumbbells and body weight exercises are the best things you can do to build lean muscle and gain strength. Strength machines are great for people who are looking to achieve a certain goal, but for 99% of people that go to a gym-step away from the strength machines. They are not doing you any good!
I know you are probably thinking “that isn’t right, I am getting stronger” and you are right, you are getting stronger but you could be burning way more calories and using more muscles if you used dumbbells. Think about this-you wake up in the morning and SIT down to eat breakfast, you then SIT in the car on your way to work, you then SIT at your desk for 8+ hours, you SIT in your car on the way home from work, you go to the gym and SIT on the strength machines and then you SIT to eat supper at home. THEN on the weekend you are moving furniture and hurt your back and wonder why you hurt your back since you “lift weights” at the gym……….do you see how much time you spend SITTING-so when you go to the gym and SIT on the strength machines you are only working the 1 or 2 muscle groups that machine was designed to work, yet when you are at home you don’t SIT to garden or to play ball with your kids or to lift furniture so why do you think SITTING on a machine is working your body?
Most people that go to a gym need to be doing functional training. Functional training is a buzzword right now, but it has been around for a long time. Functional training means to train the body for activities performed in everyday life. Example-instead of sitting on the leg curl machine do a dead lift with dumbbells or with a barbell. A dead lift is basically what you are doing every time you bend over to pick something off the floor. Instead of doing the shoulder press machine, do a shoulder press with dumbbells while standing on 1 leg. Balance work is something EVERYONE needs to work on and you don’t work your balance when you are SITTING on a machine. OR how about the worst machine on a gym floor-the ab machine-stop using that machine!! Your core is one of the most important muscle groups on your body. It helps you stand up, sit, twist, lay down, get up from laying down…etc. So work your core like you do in real life. If you golf or play tennis you need to do rotational exercises, if you garden do planks and side planks to help strengthen your low back, if you are looking for a 6-pack you won’t get it from the ab machine, start doing body weight and dumbbell exercises that challenge your core through out your whole workout.
I know a lot of people don’t know how to use dumbbells so they gravitate to the strength machines because they are easy to use. I understand that, but you aren’t getting the kind of workout you could be. So, if you want to really train your body no matter what your goal is pick up the dumbbells and if you don’t know how to use them, ask a trainer. I love helping people learn new exercises with dumbbells. It will help you reach your goal faster and help you decrease your risk of injury in real life activities.
You can check out dumbbell exercises on my You Tube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC07OBobaYqRtAZRVXkooEuw
Have fun learning new exercises!
Happy July 4th!
Here is a quick and healthy recipe you can make with the kiddos this 4th of July.
1-8oz container of vanilla yogurt
Pour 1 TBSP of the yogurt into a paper cup or Popsicle mold, layer 2-3 raspberries on top of the yogurt, add another TBSP of yogurt, then layer 3-4 blueberries and another TBSP of yogurt. Put the Popsicle or mold top on and put in the freezer overnight. To get the yogurt pops out of the mold run the mold under hot water for 1-2 minutes.
Find more healthy tips and recipes at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa and at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
I get a lot of questions from people asking how they can eat healthy when they are out running errands or shuttling the kids to games, friends…etc. It is actually easy to eat healthy when on the go, but it does require a bit of planning on your part.
Today I was running errands and needed lunch. I could have gone to a fast food restaurant and ordered something fried but I chose to be healthy. I went to my grocery store (I had to buy groceries anyways) and put together a salad from their salad bar.
I put lots of veggies on my salad, egg (for protein) and a sprinkle of blue cheese (instead of dressing).
Here are some ideas you can use when you are out and about and need to eat healthy in a hurry:
1. Load up on veggies and protein from your local salad bar or fast food restaurant
2. If you don’t want salad order a grilled chicken or hamburger (don’t eat the fries or bun) and order a fruit cup
3. Watch out for smoothie places-typically the smoothies are loaded with sugar, so look at the nutritional values before ordering
4. Pack your lunch and bring it with you
With just a bit of thinking ahead you will be able to eat healthy on the go and stick to your weight-loss goal!
For more great tips and recipes follow me at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa or @ptwithlisa
Find out more about what I do and how I can help you at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
I know when summer comes the last thing we want to do is workout inside, so I created a quick outdoor workout that you can do with no equipment except a mat and a chair.
Do each exercise 10-15 reps and do the workout 3 times through. If you want to add some cardio you can do 30 seconds of jump squats or sprints in between the sets.
Let me know what you think of the workout at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa
Have a great summer!!
When you see the words weight-loss and menopause women typically don’t think they go together. Typically, you think weight gain goes with menopause, but it doesn’t have to. Why do women gain weight during perimenopause and menopause? It’s because of the loss of estrogen in the body. Estrogen actually helps to burn fat so as your level of estrogen decreases so does your ability to burn fat. BUT don’t fear, it’s not all doom and gloom-you can still lose weight with these tips.
- Eat more protein. Most women do not get enough protein in their diet. Protein helps you feel full plus helps with aiding weight loss while keeping your lean muscle mass.
- Increase your fiber intake. Eat more veggies-Brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, broccoli, peppers…etc. Fiber helps regulate your digestive system helping you get rid of bloat.
- Lift weights-in order to lose weight and maintain your weight loss you need to lift weights. The more muscle you have, the less fat you have. If you don’t know how to lift weights or where to start, find a Personal Trainer to help you get started. Don’t even think about using the 5lbs dumbbells-your purse weighs more than that-pick up a heavy weight that you can lift with correct form and do that 3 days a week.
- Reduce your stress-stress produces cortisol in your body which also likes to hold on to fat. Aerobic activity places stress on your body so if you are doing hard aerobic activity many days during the week you could be doing more harm then good to your body. To reduce your stress and still get in a workout try walking or yoga.
Put these 4 tips into action and before long you will be feeling better and your clothes will be looser!
If you want a plan that is personalized to YOU go to www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com and contact me to set up a meeting. I am here to help you live a healthier life without feeling deprived.
Here is a quick, easy and healthy dessert recipe for your Memorial Day picnic. Enjoy!
Angle Lush Cupcakes
From: Kraft Foods Recipes
what you need
HEAT oven to 375ºF.
PREPARE cake batter as directed on package; pour into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full. Bake 12 to 15 min. or until tops are golden brown and cracks feel dry. (Note: If baking in batches, refrigerate remaining batter in bowl until ready to pour into lined muffin cups and bake.) Cool cupcakes in pans 10 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.
MIX dry pudding mix and pineapple in medium bowl. Gently stir in COOL WHIP; spread onto cupcakes.
TOP with berries.
We all know in order to be healthy or to lose weight we need to make changes to our eating habits. It can be overwhelming though to have to drastically change your habits over night. Good news…..you don’t have to. Here are 5 easy ways you can change your eating habits. Pick 1 to try this week, next week try another one…etc, until you have tried them all.
- Eat off of smaller dinner plates. Research has shown people who eat off of smaller plates consume fewer calories. This is the easiest change you can make. The bigger the plate you have the more food you put on it. Use a salad plate or buy smaller plates.
- Try 1 new food per week. A lot of people don’t like certain veggies or fruits because they didn’t when they were children, but your palate changes as you get older, so try those brussels sprouts you don’t think you like……..you just might find out you do!
- Try to eat slower. Research shows people who eat their meal in 9 minutes or faster consume 80 more calories then people who take longer to eat. It takes 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain you are full, so if you eat quickly your brain doesn’t get the signal that you are full until you are TOO full.
- Add more protein into your diet. Protein keeps you fuller for longer. Try to eat 1 serving of protein at each meal and snack. Protein also helps you lose weight while keeping your lean muscle.
- Get rid of white flour. Try whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal…etc. The extra fiber will fill you up and keep bloating at bay.
Share with us what your easy healthy eating tips are at www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa
If you want personalized meal plans you can find them at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com
So, I came upon this recipe by accident. It was one of those days, when I needed to go grocery shopping so as I was looking in the fridge for what I should make for lunch (yup, I made this for lunch) I saw black beans, eggs, salsa and avocado. So I thought what could I make with this, then I saw I had a tortilla shell…….so that’s how this recipe came to be. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Healthy Breakfast Burrito
1 egg plus 1 egg white
2 TBSP shredded cheese
1/4 cup salsa
1/3 of an avocado sliced
1/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tortilla shell or wrap (no bigger then 8 inches)
In a pan on medium heat, scramble the egg and egg white. While the egg is cooking put the tortilla shell on a plate and put the black beans down the middle. Once the egg is cooked, layer the eggs over the black beans. Top with cheese, salsa and avocado slices. Wrap up and eat with 1 piece of fruit.
This is a super quick and healthy breakfast (or anytime of day) meal
You can find more healthy recipes and exercise tips at www.personaltrainingwithlisa.com and www.facebook.com/personaltrainingwithlisa